Installation of inspection covers
Step 1: Place
Place the closed cover in the manhole. Apply the concrete filling to the edges of the frame evenly but generously. Make certain that there are no air pockets in the concrete, as these may adversely affect the density of the cover or bend under a load. Take into account the final finish layer. Use the level to take the cover to the right height.
Step 2: Open
Give the concrete plenty of time to harden (at least 48 hours) and open the cover when the concrete is 90% hard. Remove any concrete or other residue on the frame or recessed cover.
Step 3: Fill
To fill the cover, apply the concrete evenly and place the reinforcement mesh in the right position: make sure it doesn’t touch the bottom. Again take into account the thickness of the finish layer.
Step 4: Details
Lay the pavers, tiles or other finish and fill the joints.
- Always place the cover horizontally.
- Protect the floor surface around the manhole during installation.
- Prevent accidents by not leaving the manhole or shaft access open unattended during the installation work. Make sure that the area is inaccessible to children.
- Covers with two lifting points must be lifted by two persons. Covers with four lifting points must be lifted by four persons. Never lift a cover manually with ropes, this will result in back and neck injuries.
- In addition to the above instructions, observe the safety instructions and conditions of the relevant country.